News

Australian skipper Smith’s future in IPL clouded post tampering episode

We are waiting for a report from Cricket Australia's investigation (about the ball tampering episode) and we will decide (Steve) Smith's future based on that, said the chief of India's multi-billion dollar cricketing league, Rajiv Shukla.

After getting banned for one game in the ball tampering episode by the International Cricket Council, Australian skipper Steve Smith has more to worry about for the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL), starting from 7th April.

Former Indian pacer, Atul Wassan while addressing the issue said it is shocking to see a person of Smith’s stature to be involved in such thing and Smith shouldn’t be allowed to play in the IPL.

Earlier in a media release, Rajasthan Royals Executive Chairman Ranjit Barthakur had tried to clear the air and said that the franchise will wait for the BCCI’s instructions before they take a call on Smith’s future.

Steve Smith stepped down as Australia’s captain on Sunday (March 25) after he was caught, tampering the match ball during the third test against South Africa in Cape Town. Vice captain David Warner also resigned following Smith amid shock and disappointment at the conduct of the team. Smith was also fined 100 percent of his match fee, while opening batsman Cameron Bancroft, who was caught on camera attempting to alter the condition of the ball, was handed three demerit points and a 75 percent fine of his match fee.

Smith had admitted on Saturday (March 24) that the ball-tampering carried out by Bancroft had been orchestrated by himself and senior players.

Show More

Related Articles

Close