Monday, April 6, 2020
No menu items!

Accused Christchurch shooter changes plea to guilty – media reports

The Australian man accused of killing 51 worshippers at two mosques in New Zealand in March last year entered a surprise guilty plea in court in Christchurch on Thursday (March 26), and admitted to all charges, media reports said.

Brenton Tarrant, who appeared by video link, entered his plea guilty pleas at a special, hastily arranged High Court hearing in Christchurch on Thursday morning, state broadcaster TVNZ reported.

He also pleaded guilty to 40 charges of attempted murder and a terrorism charge, TVNZ said.

In an attack broadcast live on Facebook, the lone gunman armed with semi-automatic weapons targeted Muslims attending Friday prayers in Christchurch on March 15, in New Zealand’s worst peace time mass shooting.

(Production: James Redmayne)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Fired Navy Captain Brett Crozier reportedly tests positive for COVID-19

Brett Crozier, the Navy captain relieved of his command of the Theodore Roosevelt earlier this week after...

UK PM Johnson admitted to hospital for tests after persistent coronavirus symptoms

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was admitted to hospital for tests on Sunday (April 5) in what Downing Street said was a...

Trump voices hope for ‘leveling-off’ of coronavirus in U.S. hot spots

President Donald Trump expressed hope on Sunday that the United States was seeing a "leveling-off" of the coronavirus crisis in some of...

Eleven coal miners die after underground explosion in Colombia

An explosion in an underground coal mine located in central Colombia left 11 people dead on Saturday (April 4), reported the National...

Wuhan sees progress in production resumption

Central China's Wuhan, the worst-hit city by COVID-19 in the country, has seen progress in production resumption as the epidemic there continues...

More Articles Like This